Employee Care: The Best Solutions Are Sometimes the Simplest


The best solution to our problems may actually be the nearest or the easiest. Sometimes it seems so easy that we doubt its effectiveness.

I had a quick discussion with a CEO who called me once for advice.

“I have a serious problem in my organization,” he said.  “We are facing difficulty in attracting talents, and difficulty in keeping the ones we already have. We cannot even motivate our employees to perform well or become punctual. What should we do?”

I knew that this is the most common issue with organizations in his region, so I asked him, “What did you do for your employee?”

He replied, “Of course we gave higher salaries, but that has not changed the attitude.” He was surprised when I told him that was a prerequisite to employees and that they would never consider increasing the salary as a factor that would impact behavior. Human beings move to a higher level of needs once the basic one is achieved. For example, assume the basic level of need is to get a job and a stable income. Once this is achieved, a human being will now be interested in having job security in his current job rather than acquiring another job somewhere else. Sure enough, once the job security is achieved the employee will aspire to potential growth at the job, and so on.

CONVERSATION